Monday, March 12, 2018

A Little Introduction

Michael & Barbara
Zachary & Jude

“Gamarjoba!” A hearty hello from the European country of Georgia! My name is Barbara, and I would like to introduce you to myself, my family and the work we are doing here in this country.

I grew up on a little farm on the backside of nowhere in Eastern Montana, the second of 4 children. I raised goats, joined 4-H, kept up the house in the summer time, and in general, did what any other country kid did. My parents taught us to do the hard things, do them right, and not quit. They taught us to try food we didn’t know if we would like. They taught us to love and honor the Lord and required church attendance. Their faithfulness to go to church (it was an hour and ten minutes away) really showed their dedication to the Lord. All these things gave me an excellent background to ministering in this country.

From the day I could talk, I knew I was called to missions. I heard the call to reach orphans and abused in Mexico. My parents, though they knew this would mean I would eventually move a world away, always encouraged this dream. It kept me focused. I learned Spanish, attended teacher training classes, gained experience teaching junior church, and planned vacation Bible schools. When I reached college age, I took online classes at home for a psychology/Christian counselling degree, and continued to teach at church and in the public schools. I took several mission trips, about one a year, starting when I was fifteen. I received Christ and was baptized in July 2015.

The second trip to Mexico (I was then 22), I received the clear message that God had closed the door for me to go to Mexico. Feeling confused and a little disheartened, I talked it over with my mom. She very wisely advised, “God may have given you that vision to keep you focused through high school and college (Lord knows you needed that!) and now He has something special in mind.” So true were the words, for 6 months later I met the wonderful man who is now my husband- on his way to the country of Georgia. A year after meeting, we were married. Yay!

After a honeymoon and about a month break, Michael and I plunged right back into deputation ministry (he had started before we met), to raise funding to go overseas. I learned a LOT about God and faith those first few months. We really had very little, but the Lord provided our needs. We completed our deputation and arrived in Tbilisi (the capitol of) Georgia in May of 2017.

The Lord has blessed us with two children: Jude, turning three shortly, and Zachary, roughly a year and a half. They do keep me on my toes, but they are a great joy and help us so much meeting people in this country. Jude is into all things boy: rocket ships, Spider man (how, I don’t know!), dragons, and Patch the Pirate. Zachary is our lovable, happy, mischievous  and daring child who doesn’t know danger and hates to hear the word no.

Right now, we are digging the trenches in the Lord’s battle. (We are learning the language.) The trenches are deep, and the work is long and hard, but it is necessary before we can engage in the Spiritual warfare in this country. The Georgian language is among the hardest for English speakers to learn, having an immense vocabulary and complicated verb structure. The people here are greatly loyal to their Georgian Orthodox church, and are "good" people, but they are totally lost! They are told not to read the Bible and know more about tradition and superstition than about Christ. We look forward to knowing the language well enough to share the gospel with our friends.

I’m looking forward to sharing with you how God works in and through our family.

6 comments:

Lou Ann Keiser said...

Loved this! It's great to get a grasp on different fields. I am glad Georgia is open. What a blessing! God bless you and keep you.

Olivia said...

Amazing how the Lord leads! Thank you for sharing :) I love hearing what other missionaries are doing around the world! Prayers for the ministry there in Georgia :)

Joyful said...

It was great learning more about you and seeing how the Lord led you to the current mission field you are on. God bless you and your ministry there in Georgia.

Sherrie said...

I love hearing people's testimonies, and how God has worked in their lives! I also like to hear how God has changed someone's heart to serve in a place/position that they never thought they would be in; and how in doing that they find satisfaction. What a great God we serve!!

Lindsay Smith said...

Barbara! Glad to see you again! You boys are adorable, getting so big! Glad to hear you're doing well. Dig those language trenches deep!!

Reema said...

Looks great post! This is wonderful article. Thanks for sharing it. If you want to buy leather shoes then book this Leather Footwear Manufacturers is the best.